Sunday, July 10, 2011

Popeye's Pesto

I wanted to roast some large portobellos and wasn't sure what to put on them.  As much as they are delicious alone when roasted really well, in a 425F oven for 20-30 minutes, I wanted something a bit more exciting.  Daiya mixed with breadcrumbs and rosemary is a guaranteed winner, always.  Not too creative though, so I went with a pesto idea.  So simple, and so easy.  Since pine nuts are ridiculously expensive, and I didn't want to buy all the basil required, I thought I'd make something up.  I had (and have still) a boatload of spinach.  I've made pesto in the past using kale and pecans from our CSA, so why not sub spinach and for the "nuts" I got some roasted and salted pumpkin seeds!  Genius!  Next time, I think I'll toss in a couple of tablespoons of nooch but it's not necessary.

Popeye's Pesto
4 servings, approximately 50 calories per serving


CONTENTS


4 cups spinach
1/4 cup roasted and salted pumpkin seeds
up to 1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp salt (optional...)

FASCIST DIRECTIONS

1. Add one to two cups of spinach to your processor.  Process away til totally shredded and a pastey green sludge.
2. Add the pumpkin seeds, process...
3. Add the rest of the spinach and, you guessed it, chop and grind until it's looking good.  You may need to add water, I suggest 1 TBS at a time.  If it's getting too liquidy, maybe add some nooch, or more seeds.  If it's too thick, add water.  At some point you can add in some salt if you like.

Serve in oven-roasted portobellos (or grilled if you prefer).  Totally delicious, a very unique flavor combination!

No comments:

Post a Comment