Sunday, July 10, 2011

Brekkie PB Corn Cakes

Yay, Sunday!  I can try to get creative with breakfast!  And I did!  Yaaaaay!

I wake up mad-hungry on most mornings, and today was no exception.  I wanted something fast, filling, and I wanted peanut butter.  I was thinking of making some sort of peanut-butter french toast, but I didn't really have the crusty bread that would make it really yummy... and I didn't want to use up Rod's mini bagels for the cause... so later this week I'll command the second-best kitchen appliance to make bread overnight and my dream will come true!  Oh wait, I go out of town for a wedding... ok, the following weekend will be met with peanut butter freedom toast... Yum... I'm drooling at the thought of it already!

But today I had to compromise.  I forgot to get flour at the store last time I was there, so I had to use what I had... it was either bread flour or corn flour.  I'm not sure how bread flour would react to not being baked.  Probably no weird things would happen, but why risk it?  I went with corn flour and found a neat texture came out of having used it.  Here's what I put together in a pinch:

Brekkie PB Corn Cakes for two
2 servings, approximately 360 calories per serving.
Suggested toppings: 1 extra tablespoon of peanut butter and three chopped up strawberries with 1/4 tsp sugar sprinkled on top. (add 120 calories)  Rod loved the strawberries and I second the recommendation--nay, demand that you top your brekkie cakes with strawberries

CONTENTS


1 cup corn flour (honestly, any flour would do)
1/4 cup milk (almond is what we got!)
1/4 cup water
2 tsp vanilla
1 TBS sugar
2 TBS chunky peanut butter

FASCIST DIRECTIONS


1. Mix flour, sugar and milk.  Start heating up a frying pan over medium to med-low heat.  Get your cooking spray ready.
2. Then add 2 TBS water, 2 tsp vanilla and mix up.  See if you need the other 2 TBS of water.
3. Add the peanut butter and mix well.  Maybe add those last two TBS of water, maybe not... depends on your preference.  Spray your pan with cooking spray.
4. I glopped out about 3 TBS worth of batter onto the frying pan, flattened it out with a fork and timed it for 3-4 minutes on each side.  The edges got this awesome crispy texture while the centers had a great sandy texture that wasn't like chewing rubber at all.
5. While the first batch's first side is cooking away, chop up your strawberries and sprinkle with the sugar so the juices start to come out.  It really helps bring out the flavor of strawberries and the longer you leave the sugar on, the more the juices seep.  I learned this trick making a FANTASTIC strawberry shortcake recipe I hybridized from about 3 different sources (one was a tiramisu, totally ROCKED!).  I'll be sure to post it some day!
6. When removed from pan, add 1/2 TBS peanut butter to the hot cake and let it sit for a few seconds while you get the next (and final probably) batch going.  This lets the peanut butter "melt" a bit so it's more easily spreadable.  Spreeeeeead it all over the brekkie cake.
7. Place the second brekkie cake on top when ready, add PB and wait... spread it all over, then top with those sugar-coated strawberries.
8. Prepare to be surprised.

I was so impressed with how this turned out I just had to post it with pride.

I had meant to try the baking soda-vinegar combo in this too, but I forgot and it didn't need it.  Maybe next time I'll try that... It might be necessary if using whole wheat flour... hmmm... next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment