Saturday, October 15, 2011

Sweet Tart Pasta

Oh my... I was impressed with this one.  I have all these limes to use up and pasta is quick.  Can you tell we're scouring the pantry so we don't have to shop?  I, can you tell that I am scouring the pantry... as the resident chef and all-knower of pantry contents.  

So I think this meal turned out to be fantastic.  Lime with some agave gives that sweet 'n sour taste; the toasted almonds add a lovely crunch and the dash of cayenne gives it the kick to make everything work.  I do recommend a whole-wheat pasta rather than a white pasta.  It is probably good with spinach pasta mixed in too!

SWEET TART PASTA
2 servings

CONTENTS
4-6oz pasta depending on how hungry you are...
1 TBS agave nectar, divided
2 tsp olive oil, divided
roughly 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
zest and juice from 2 limes
2 TBS slivered almonds, toasted
a light sprinkle of cayenne and salt


FASCIST DIRECTIONS
1. Set the oven to 350F to toast the almonds.  Walnuts would probably be good too come to think of it...  Lay the almonds out in a single layer and toast about 10 minutes.  You'll smell their awesomeness telling you they are ready.
2. Meanwhile, boil water for the pasta.
3. Get your limes and basil out.  Take a nice picture of them.
4. Rub the limes to loosen the juice.  It's a great way to get the most out of your citrus!
5. Time to chiffonade your basil... It's a fancy culinary term for slice into thin strips.  The technique is to roll up the leaves and then slice them.  It works!
Below I picture the series of my trying to photograph myself chiffonading my basil...

And viola!  You have ribbons of basil.
By now your almonds should be toasted and looking like this:
So remove from the oven and let them cool (turn off your oven too, unless you're making garlic bread...mmmm)

6. Zest the lime into the basil pile and mix.
7. Your pasta should be ready.  Serve into bowls.
Mix in the basil and zest, then squeeze a lime into each depending on your lime tolerance.
Drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
Mix it up and top with the almonds and a dash of cayenne. Totally awesome!
Mmm... Yummy....

No comments:

Post a Comment