Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Cheezy stack


Thank you, comfort food.

For me, anything with sauteed mushrooms is probably going to be enjoyed maniacally.  I was one of those people who hated something and then under pressure had to try it and found that it was awesome and I'd been missing out.  That was my experience with mushrooms, avocado and yesterday, with ginger beer.  I was in heaven with that carbonated beverage!  I like Canada Dry's Ginger Ale, always have, and once I tried the ginger beer at college and did not like it at all.  Too intense, that was something so very off about it.  So ten years later I found myself stuck with not many options... drink water (no worries) or give the ginger beer another go.  What have I been missing out on????? I knew immediately what it was.  My unrefined ginger palate of a decade ago has come around.  These days I crave raw ginger, and that ginger beer was heavy on the natural ginger flavor.  Goes to show you.  I say that I haven't met a fruit or vegetable I haven't liked, and as a vegan I feel it's my responsibility to try a new one when it comes my way (thank you starfruit, you tropical joy, you!).  There's still one that gets me, and I keep trying it wondering if all of a sudden I'm OK with it.  Grapefruit.  Can't do it. Don't like it. Sorry citrus family, that is the third cousin-twice removed that needs to be kept in the storm cellar.

After that digression, I bring you a stack of food.  It started with the quick "bread", then I had leftover cheeze sauce, cauliflower and mushrooms.  Originally I had thought to roast the cauliflower and put it 'tween the "bread" but then I thought to steam it til softened and mix in the cheeze.  Bingo!  Top with sauteed mushrooms (another last minute switcheroo, originally envisioned in the middle of the stack, then mixed into the cheezy cauliflower mash, and lastly just tossed on top).  All in all this recipe didn't take very long. 30 minutes start to finish.

CHEEZY STACK
2-4 servings, depending on hunger level (I only had breakfast that day, so I justified eating everything.  It's really about the "bread" in this case, the veggies are super light and perfectly measured for two people).

CONTENTS
"Bread"
1 cup flour
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup H2O

"Cheezy Cauliflower Mash"
2 cups raw cauliflower florets
1/4 cup prepared cheeze sauce
water to steam

Sauteed mushrooms (1 cup sliced mushrooms with a little oil and/or margarine)

FASCIST DIRECTIONS
1. Make the bread.  Heat your oven to 425F and mix all the bread ingredients.  You may need to add a little more water to get just the right consistency.  It's not like a dough you knead, more like a sticky batter.

Bake at 425F for about 20-30 minutes. I used an 8x8 baking dish.

2. Meanwhile, boil a small amount of water (1/2 cup-3/4 cup, you can add more later if you feel it's eva-poo-rating too much).  Add the cauliflower florets and cover.  "Steam" about 10-15 minutes, until soft enough to mash with a fork. 

3.  Mash it with a fork! Start sauteeing the mushrooms now too.  Keep an eye on them and stir often.
Then mix in the cheezy sauce.

4. When the "bread" is ready, remove from the oven and cool about 5 minutes. Stir those mushrooms.

5. Divide equally so that everyone gets two pieces of "bread" and place one piece at the bottom of a bowl or plate. Stir those mushrooms.

Top with some cauliflower cheeze mash.  Stir those mushrooms.

Layer another bit of bread on top.  Stir those mushrooms.  Turn off the heat for the mushrooms too; they should be done by now or close to it.

6. Top with mushrooms when done! 
Total Yum.  I think the next time I'll make it with a cornbread style bread.  I love me some cornbread.  Crumbly and delicious, so very very delicious...

No comments:

Post a Comment