Monday, September 26, 2011

Border Roasted Potatoes and Pals


Please admire the coffee table... yes, thank you, we are just that cool.  I'll keep promoting it because I really love it.  Eventually it'll get old, but it'll still look good cuz it's laminated.

So this turned out to be an incredible edible dish.  I forget how much I love roasted corn until I have it.  It's really fantastic.  I'm a huge fan of raw corn so I always forget to roast it.  But then when I make something like my beloved Fete, I am back on a corn-roasting mission.  I titled this one Border Roasted Potatoes and Pals because it's not really 'south of the border' and I'm not about to give an unfounded shout-out to Texas (because I've never been there), and On the Border is taken.  So just Border it is.  There are borders everywhere in this political world of ours!  Boundaries and restrictions and we sit on the fence.  Well, I took a risk with this one--the theoretical make-up of the ingredients made sense, but I wasn't sure if it would pull together effectively.  Oh boy it did.  It so did.  I made myself weep with every bite.

BORDER ROASTED POTATOES AND PALS
4 servings

CONTENTS
4 med potatoes
1 cup corn (fresh or frozen or canned)
3 cups broccoli
2 cups spinach
2 TBS olive oil, divided
2 tsp each:
-ground cumin
-chili powder
-powdered garlic
-dried parsley
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup roasted salted cashews to top.  I would have preferred pumpkin seeds but I was out.

FASCIST DIRECTIONS
1. Heat to oven to 425F. Cut corn from cob and rinse if you have to.  Or just rinse canned corn under water.  Or run some hot water over frozen corn to partially thaw.  The picture applies to all...
But it was fresh corn.
2. Thinly slice the potatoes...  I halved first and then sliced so the flat edge helped a lot.
3. Place the potatoes in the colander with the corn...
...and then place the colander in the high-rimmed baking pan you plan to use (mine is 9x13)
4. Drizzle 1 TBS olive oil and stir up the potatoes.  Let the oil drip down, that's fine.  Hence putting it there!
5. Dump the potatoes and corn into the baking sheet and stir some more.
6. Add the broccoli and spinach, stirring again.
7. Add each of the spices and herb(s?) and salt, stirring between each addition.  Add the other TBS of olive oil at some point when you feel it needs more lubrication. (TWSS)
Like my collage?  Quick composite history of spice addition...
8. Roast about 30 minutes, stirring after twenty.  Uncovered.  When done, remove and stir again.  Let it cool about 10 minutes before dishing it out.
9.  Dish it out, top with cashews or pumpkin seeds and enjoy!
I served ours with another soon-to-be-posted recipe, Cream of Broccoli--and Sesame Too!  Both are pictured on that fantastic coffee table.  YUM, so very very YUM.  I couldn't tell which one impressed me more!

No comments:

Post a Comment