Saturday, September 10, 2011

FIGJAM Roll-Up

I am patiently awaiting Rod to wake up so he can taste this incredible concoction!  I'm quite surprised at how fantastic it turned out.

Figs are on sale at Publix.... so I have to use them all up.  Why not make another bout of Fig Jam (or FIGJAM, hehehe).  It uses up several figs and it is quite versatile indeed.  So, for a quick breakfast, I decided to use the last tortilla on my selfish self... because again, who sells packages of 5 tortillas????  

Courtesy of my unpaid research librarian, I bring you the significance of the Number Five.

I was going to make pinwheels but after rolling up the tortilla, I think it's too gooey to do that.  Plus, the tortillas aren't very sturdy so it was going to end up being disastrous.  Tomorrow, I vow to make the same thing, but I will make thin pancakes and hope they are sturdier to make pinwheels out of.  I must do some pinwheel research...

FIGJAM Roll-Up
1 serving

CONTENTS
7 ripe figs, stems cut off and rough chopped
1 TBS brown sugar
2 TBS water
1 tsp cornstarch, arrowroot powder, agar flakes, flaxseed meal or other thickener / mixed with 2 tsp H2O
Two shakes of allspice
1 shake of cinnamon
1 tortilla
1 tsp margarine

FASCIST DIRECTIONS
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the figs, brown sugar and 2 TBS water.  Let it simmer about 7 minutes until it starts to get steamy and awesome.  
2. When softened, smash the figs with some smashing utensil (I used a rice paddle, a wooded spoon is preferable but I broke mine one day stirring some thick chocolate batter and have yet to replace it...).  Mix really well after smashing.

3. Make a slurry with the cornstarch and water and add to the fig mixture.  Mix well again, then add the allspice and cinnamon.  I say shakes because I didn't measure it out... just shook the wee little containers into the mixture... Twice with the allspice, once with the cinnamon.  Dang that's a hard word for me to spell... Cinnamon.  I do it every time... one N... two Ms--oh wait, backspace-backspace-backspace-N-A-M-O-N.  Broccoli is the same... and to illustrate, I misspelled it trying to spell it here.  And I call myself a vegan...

Once mixed, turn off heating apparatus and remove saucepan from that burner.

4. Lay the tortilla out flat on a plate... 
 ...and lightly schmear it with 1 tsp margarine.  A little goes a long way...

 5. Dump the fig jam on top in a pile and roll it up!
My suggestion for rolling is to bring most of it to the side you are starting your rolling from.  Side on a circle? Hm... This way you have a bunch of the goop in the center of the roll-up.  Lightly roll the rest up, making sure you lift the rolling bit over the jam so it doesn't ooze out the other end yet.  It will when you bit into it.
 
Let it sit about 5 minutes to cool.  Total freakin' yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment