Friday, September 16, 2011

Unbelievable BBQ Sauce

...and suggestions of what to serve with!

It's not really easy to make a vat of BBQ sauce look appetizing, but take my word for it, this simple recipe is spectacular!  I sampled it with two different meals and both times it was a winner.  The recipe yields about 4-6 servings, depending on how you are serving it.  The surprise veggie that really complimented the sauce (or vice versa) was asparagus.  I don't know exactly what it was, but the texture was perfect!  Mushrooms were great too, but mushrooms are always good.  Round two involved more asparagus and pinto beans that I had soaked and cooked old fashion-stylee.  I have to admit I'm lazy when it comes to beans and I reach for the canned but seriously, there is nothing like the consistency of beans cooked up from dried.  They are more firm and bursting with flavor.  The Joy of Cooking came through for directions on how to soak and cook.  It's quite simple really, but it had been a while so I wanted to be sure.  I went for pintos because that's what I had hiding in the pantry, but I bet this sauce would compliment any white bean nicely and especially black-eyed peas!  In the immortal words of Steven Tyler, Oh yeah!

UNBELIEVABLE BBQ SAUCE
4-6 servings (easily quadrupled...)

CONTENTS
1/2 cup ketchup (with no HFCS, come on now!)
2 tsp agave or other liquid sweetener
2 tsp molasses
2 tsp white sugar
1.5 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS oyster sauce (yes, there is vegan oyster sauce)
3/4 tsp spicy brown mustard
1 TBS worcestershire sauce (ditto)
1 tsp distilled white vinegar
sprinkle of garlic powder
sprinkle of salt and pepper
sprinkle of cayenne for a kick

FASCIST DIRECTIONS
1. Mix all well, let it sit to meld...
2. Enjoy!
The above picture was the second day... half the sauce is missing as you can see!

Simple enough, right?  The hardest part is making sure you have all the awesome ingredients ;-)

Here are two collages of what I served them with...
Meal Number One

Meal Number Two

This little fella greeted me in the way only an armadillo could on my way to the bus stop...  Little surprises!

No comments:

Post a Comment