Tuesday, September 6, 2011

FIGJAM Bulgur

I've picked up the term FIGJAM from Rod... I don't know if it's Australian-only, but jeez it's funny!  I didn't really intend to make fig jam in the beginning, but that's what ended up happening as I added some brown sugar to the chopped up figs... I went with it and it was a success!  So I bring you another breakfast meal!

FIGJAM BULGUR
1 serving

I wasn't sure if it would be well-received since some people are weird about food texture... So I tested it out on myself. I'm a bit biased though, I thought it rocked.  But I love figs...

CONTENTS
6 ripe, well sized figs, stems removed and chopped roughly
2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/4 c bulgur
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
Sliced almonds, optional, to top (about 1/2-1 TBS)













FASCIST DIRECTIONS
1. Cook chopped figs in a small pot with the brown sugar over medium-low heat.















Approximately 7 minutes until the juices start to seep out and it gets gooey.














2. Add everything else except the almonds.  Cook about 5 minutes, until the bulgur has absorbed the milk and you should be stirring relatively frequently towards the end.



3. Remove from heat and let it sit 1 minute.  Dump in a bowl and top with almonds.



Quick and tasty!


You could probably sub any breakfast grain that you want... I just love bulgur.  I bet millet would be great and there's no doubt it would be good with regular old fashioned oats too.  MMmmm... Yum....


















Stitch says: Who needs a pillow when you have a carpeted floor?

No comments:

Post a Comment