Ah, the Andes... Majestuosa es la blanca montana... (Majestic is the white mountain). A line from the Chilean national anthem. And it goes for-eh-vah. Only verse 5 and the chorus are sung in public! Here, read all about it.
Continuing with the 'guess what we made for Dieciocho' series, I bring thee Pastel de Choclo! Source unknown, except that I got it from my sweet and savvy mom ;-)
PASTEL DE CHOCLO
My guess is 6 servings...
2-3 TBS oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb of ground "beef" (we subbed Yves Meatless Grounds)
1 TBS paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 cup water or stock
1 TBS flour
1 lb fresh or frozen corn
1-2 TBS cornstarch (it IS a corn meal after all!)
Milk, as needed
1 TBS sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1 TBS margarine
2-3 TBS sugar
1. Have your mother prepare it while you prepare the empanadas and alfajores... Below is what she did...
2. Heat oven to 375F. Heal oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and satue til translucent. Stir in the garlic and saute another 1-2 minutes.
3. Add the "beef", paprika, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and saute, until it's cooked through, about 6-8 minutes.
4. Place the corn, cornmeal, cornstarch and sugar in a food processor and process until well pureed. with the blade running, add the milk a little at a time until the corn forms a thick batter. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Sorry, forgot to take a picture of this step! I had my hands full of gooey empanada mush)
5. When the "beef" mix is ready, spread it into a greased casserole dish.
Wipe out the pan and then melt the margarine over med-low heat. Add the corn puree and cook, stirring constantly, until well thickened, about 5-8 minutes.
6. Top the "beef" mix with the corn mix and use the back of a spatula to spread it evenly.
7. Sprinkle the sugar over the corn topping.
8. Set the dish in the oven and bake about 30-40 minutes, or until bubbling and golden brown on top. It's already cooked, you're just helping it out.
Serve alongside an empanada! I'm reposting the pair so you can recall the feeling of wanting to make it yourself immediately.