My mission of making savory donuts has been achieved!
Savory mini donuts... Best kind of savory donuts.
I refused to let my mini-donut maker remain just a dessert appliance. As much as I love desserts in miniature, there had to be more that it could offer. The waffle maker I used to have was an excellent toasted-sandwich maker (and lemon-corn waffle maker!), furthering its culinary applications. Mini donut maker? Impulse buy, true, but surely it could be used for other circular foods.
Yes, it can. These are quite lemony, but I've made them without the lemon as well and they're still just as good.
SAVORY DONUTS: LEEK AND ROSEMARY
approx. 15 mini-donuts
2 tsp olive oil
1 small leek, washed and finely diced
1 cup AP flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
Zest and juice from 1 lemon
2 flaxseed "eggs" (2 TBS flaxseed meal with 6 TBS water)
1 1/2 tsp margarine
1/2 cup water
Dried rosemary (about 1 TBS) crushed
Sprinkles of red chili pepper flakes
1. Make the flaxseed mixture to set aside to thicken. Prepare your mini donut maker, if you have one. Or heat your oven to 425F and prepare either a mini donut pan or something to bake in. If you go for a loaf of sorts, then you will most likely have to adjust the baking time (start by baking the total added amount, roughly 24 minutes).
2. In a small saucepan or frying pan, heat the oil and cook the leeks until they have softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the margarine and mix. Turn off the heat at remove the pan to another area to cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, mix the AP flour, baking powder, ground black pepper and lemon zest.
4. Add in the flaxseed mixture, water, rosemary, red pepper flakes and cooked leeks. Stir until combined well and sticky.
5. Fill each donut mold with the batter until it's about half full. In my case, I bake 4 minutes and then flip them over, and bake for another 4 minutes.
6. Set each batch aside to cool on a wire rack and repeat with the remaining batter til done! Viola!
So totally awesome. These keep for several days in an airtight container.