Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Easy White Sauce + Onion Dill Pasta

Who knew that making a white sauce (like the kind in a regular alfredo dish) was so freakin' simple??? And so few ingredients! I'm going to be making this ALL the time now.  So easy... and such a great base for all kinds of awesomeness.  I've steered clear of trying to make it simply because I associate it with beaucoup cheese.  Surprise, so totally not.  And it's so versatile!  On veggies, pasta, breads, spoons!  Yum!

This recipe spawned from the need to finish up all that freakin' fresh dill I had.  It was almost from nostalgia because I thought of mixing it with pasta (dill rocks with anything, truly), but I didn't want to just add it in with margarine.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  On a whim I thought to myself, "Self, surely you can easily veganize a white sauce." I then replied "Quit calling me Shirley." Ha.

Much to my aforementioned surprise, it's embarrassingly easy.  So I bring to you to simplest and fastest white sauce you can make!

EASY WHITE SAUCE (and Onion Dill Pasta)
2-4 servings

CONTENTS
1 cup milk
2 TBS margarine
2 TBS flour
pinch salt

Yes, that's it.
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 cup chopped fresh dill
4 oz whole wheat pasta (2oz each)
sprinkle of nooch on top, optional.

FASCIST DIRECTIONS
1. Melt the margarine and whisk in the flour.  Whisk til evenly blended, no lumps allowed!  This should be over medium heat.  Soft bubbling action.  Also, in another pot, prepare the pasta according to package directions.

2. Add the milk and continue to whisk.  Raise heat to bring it to a boil.  Then reduce heat and simmer as long as it takes to get the right consistency.  I believe it only took 7 or so minutes for me.

3. Chop the dill and onions.  In hindsight, I would have sauteed the onions (or caramelized them, even better). 

4. Whisk in the dill and onions (and salt n' pepa if using).  At this point I recommend switching to a spoon of sorts because the whisk proved difficult to use. 

 5. That's it!  Serve!  Base of pasta... 

...and in my case I added the onion separately but again, I recommend pre-cooking them somehow.  They were a bit overwhelming...

...Add the white sauce...

...and sprinkle on some nooch! 

Totally awesome. I can't wait to try this sauce with other flavors!!  
Yum!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment