Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Crunchie Bar Chocolate Mousse

Once again, I have triumphed with dessert!

I have made "Crunchie Bar" filling before... aka honeycomb, sponge toffee.  It was my favorite chocolate bar when I was in Tasmania (sorry Violet Crumble, but you pale in comparison) so when I discovered that it's totally vegan and doesn't involve honey at all, I ran to the kitchen.  This was last year... I haven't made it since, it's just too incredible and I end up eating all of it.  But I had a siesta yesterday and I dreamed of making a kick-ass dessert and I woke up with a mission.

I thought sure, I could melt chocolate and make a regular crunchie bar-style dessert but come on!  Where's the fun in that!?

I made up a super light and delicious chocolate mousse.  I'm such a badass.  Crumble "Crunchie" bits on top and you will be wishing you doubled the recipe, which is easy considering I purposefully made half of a potential recipe to be able to make a "ranch"-like dressing/sauce--courtesy of All-Hail-Isa!  Oh, faithful readers, this dessert will sweep you off your feet.  I'm sorry, I'm already taken.

CRUNCHIE BAR CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
2 servings, 200 calories per serving of chocolate mousse (1/4 cup) and 190 in the total crunchie filling, but I only used about 1 or 2 TBS for both... so maybe an additional 20 calories per serving?

CONTENTS:

*Crunchie Bar Filling*
2.5 TBS light brown sugar
1 TBS agave nectar
1/2 tsp baking soda

*Chocolate Mousse*
6.2 oz silken tofu (firm; 1/2 vacuum packed mori nu package)
2 TBS agave
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 c dark chocolate chips
2 TBS dark cocoa powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp cornstarch


FASCIST DIRECTIONS:

1. Let's make the crunchie filling first.  Prepare a baking dish with oil, spray or margarine so things don't stick.  In a small saucepan, bring the sugar and agave to a boil.  Stir it constantly for 3 minutes until the sugar is dissolved and it's super bubbly.  You will HAVE to stir constantly.  Don't burn it though... be careful....

2. Add the 1/2 tsp baking soda and remove from heat.  It will foam up and Mr. Wizard will be rolling in his grave.  Very quickly, put it in the prepared dish.  I went with the heart shaped pan because I LOVE THIS RECIPE... hehehe....

3. Let it sit at room temperature to harden for about 15 minutes.  Then you can transfer it to the fridge so your cats don't get to it.

4. Chocolate mousse time!!!  Get a double-boiler setup going to melt the chocolate chips.

5. Meanwhile, process the silken tofu and add the chocolate powder and salt, process til smooth and scrape down the sides to keep it all involved.

6. When the chocolate chips are melted, add the agave and vanilla to the goop and stir well.  Let it sit in the hot water about 2 minutes and stir often.  Remove from heat (turning off the source) and add to the processor.  Whir about until it's all smooth and well blended.  Add the cornstarch and blend again.

7. Put in small ramekins or bowl and chill at least an hour.

I'm sure it would be fine after 30 minutes, but I made this first and then made dinner, then ate dinner, finished watching a show and by the time it I served this 2 hours had passed and it was superb.

8. When ready to serve, crumble crunchie bits on top and use the smallest spoon you've got in a desperate attempt to make it last.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuum!!
 
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment