Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Roasted Garlic Risotto with Roasted Veggies

My apologies for the incredible delay in posting.  With the beginning of the year I've started several new jobs, going back to school (yes, again) and we just moved this weekend so it's been hectic.  Very, very hectic.  But, we are now settling into our fort o' moving boxes quite nicely.  I appreciate your patience and understanding ;-)
Above, roasted veggies...
Below, roasted garlic...

Roasting garlic is really easy.  I tend to use the stupid excuse of "I just don't have the time" but in reality what it is is that it's 7pm and I think "I SHOULD have been roasting garlic while sitting on my arse doing nothing."  Ok, that's a quasi-lie too, I definitely stay busy, I just forget to get some garlic going and realize when I'm ready to make dinner that I could have been multi-tasking.  Which, is also a misnomer as I wouldn't be doing anything while the garlic is roasting to really make it a "task."  Eh, hindsight is always 1080p...

I've used roasted garlic in previous posts, like here, and here.  Not sure if I have a post strictly about the how-to of roasting garlic... maybe I should check...

Here it is!

For this recipe, I had leftover cooked brown rice, some regular white and sweet potatoes and some frozen broccoli.  Chucked in some onion, tomato and millet with the brown rice and that was superb.

ROASTED GARLIC RISOTTO WITH ROASTED VEGGIES
2 servings

CONTENTS
2 cups cooked brown rice
2 TBS roasted garlic cloves
1 small onion, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
2 TBS raw millet
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
1/2 cup milk (if you opt out of the nooch, then try 1/4 cup milk and work your way up til desired consistency is reached)
1 large potato, such as a yukon gold or russet, chopped
1 large sweet potato, chopped
2 cups broccoli florets
2 TBS oil
1 tsp each dried rosemary, thyme and parsley
1/2 tsp salt, divided

FASCIST DIRECTIONS
1.  Toss the potatoes and broccoli in oil, herbs and 1/4 tsp salt.  Bake about 30 minutes at 450F.


2. Meanwhile, put the leftover rice in a medium pot over medium heat.

3. Add the onions, tomatoes, millet, 1/4 tsp salt, nooch (if using) and milk.  Stir well until warmed through.

You'll know it's ready when it's creamy.
Uh oh, TWSS...

4. Toss the garlic cloves in at the end and mix through.  Turn off the heat and cover it, waiting for the roasted veggies.
As an aside, when I'm making roasted garlic, I hate wasting the hacked off garlic tips so I roast those too with some oil in an oven-safe dish.  Don't be wasteful!

5. When the veggies are done, serve over the risotto!  Easy, eh?  Mmmm... Yummy...

No comments:

Post a Comment