OK, even I impressed me... and I'm a tough crowd.
There are certainly some modifications I would make for future variations, but for my first made-from-scratch-pie (including the crust!) I have to say, I rocked it.
Let it be known that I made this without my beloved processor (rest in pieces). I stood there whipping ingredients by hand that may have provided a cool texture in the end, so I guess not all was lost. I had my heart set on a lime pie... and I wasn't to be discouraged by the lack of machines. Besides, when the revolution hits, I'll be ready... to eat delicious pie...
CREAMY CHOCOLATE LIME PIE
makes 1 pie... your call on the number of servings!
1/2 cup shredded unsweet coconut
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup margarine
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 TBS milk
Lime Cream Filling
1 box silken tofu
3 limes, zested and juiced, preferably in that order for convenience
2 TBS flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
2 TBS agave nectar (or maple syrup)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Heat your oven to 350F. Mix the coconut, brown sugar and margarine together. Mix really well.
2. Add the rest of the crust's ingredients, mix well. Press into the bottom of a pie pan.
Look at it closely... it's purdy.
3. Bake for about 20 minutes. In the meantime, mix the filling ingredients. In no particular order... they will all end up in the same blend.
4. Remove the crust from the oven and add an even layer of chocolate chips. Return to the oven and bake about 5-7 minutes until the chocolate is beginning to melt. Or at least it seems to be heating through.
5. Remove from the oven and spread the filling on top. Return and bake about 20 more minutes. It does take a while but boy is it worth it!
Remove from the oven and let it cool at least a half hour before trying to serve. It didn't hold together well the first time it was served, but after some time in the fridge it did.
Truly magnificent. I can't wait to try another variation!
Mmmm... I want more... The crust was the best part!